THE LATEST IN SPORTS NUTRITION PROTEIN SCIENCE HAS LED TO THIS
Muscle Serum by Betancourt Nutrition contains several ingredients to promote muscle growth and increase lean body mass while also stimulating the immune system to promote a healthier life style. The superior effects of Muscle Serum are contributed to five key ingredients in addition to four sources of protein; whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, and micellar casein.
RPM Factors1,2 are colostrum concentrate and are speculated to increase plasma IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor) and lean body mass while also acting to improve intramuscular buffering capacity while taking part in intense resistance training. This buffering capacity prevents muscle soreness enabling the resistance training session to last longer.
GABA3,4 (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the human cortex of the brain that promotes mental relaxation while naturally improving immunity. When GABA is taken with a specific amino acid, L-arginine, the body’s absorption is increased dramatically. L-arginine is a common amino acid found in many protein blends such as in Muscle Serum. A study also showed that GABA5 taken with whey protein significantly increased plasma growth hormone as compared to just taking whey protein. This increase in plasma growth hormone has a positive effect on muscular hypertrophy after resistance training.
Branched-chain amino acids6 (BCAAs) are widely used among many individuals who take part in resistance training, and for good reason. Consisting of three specific amino acids, leucine, valine, and isoleucine, BCAAs are known to drastically improve myofibrillar muscle protein synthesis by raising the activity of mTORC-1, a protein complex that stimulates the formation of biological proteins to aid in cell growth.
Finally, bromelain7 and papain8 are naturally obtained from pineapple and unripe papaya. Papain is a digestive enzyme to help process nutrients and bromelain is believed to stimulate better absorption for the body, these two enzymes working in tandem with each other maximize the effects and benefits of all Muscle Serum’s key ingredients.
1) M, Shing C. “Bovine Colostrum Supplementation and Exercise Performance: Potential Mechanisms.” Sports Med, vol 2009:39, no. 12, ser. 1033-54.
2) J, Antonio. “The effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in active men and women.” Nutrition, vol 17, no. 3, ser. 243-7.
3) Boonstra, E., Kleijn, R., Colzato, L., Nieuwenhuis, S., “Neurotransmitters as food supplements: the effects of GABA on brain and behavior.” Front Psychol., vol 6, ser. 1520.
4) AM, Abdou. “Relaxation and immunity enhancement effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) administration in humans.” Biofactors, vol 26, no. 3, ser. 201-8.
5) Sakashita, Maya. “Combined oral intake of GABA with whey protein improves lean mass in resistance-trained men.” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol 48, no. 5S.
6) Jackman, S. R., “Branched-Chain Amino Acid Ingestion Stimulates Muscle Myofibrillar Protein Synthesis following Resistance Exercise in Humans.” Front Physiol., vol 8, ser. 390.
7) R. Pavan, “Properties and therapeutic application of bromelain: a review.” Biotechnol. Res. Int., vol 2012, ser. 976203.
8) May, A., “The digestion products formed by the action of papain on egg albumin.” Biochem J., vol 30, no. 10, ser. 1807-1814.